OT: English (was: Re: [tlug] [REMINDER] "Defending the Creative Commons")

Quoth Brett Robson (Thu 2002-12-12 09:48:48PM -0800):

>>> (It did annoy me that he continually used 'architect' as a verb, he even
>>> said "architect the design" at one stage. But fortunately he didn't
>>> conjugate it, eg architected, architecting, architection)
>>
>> Hey what's wrong with that, even if someone were to conjugate
>> it?
>
> Because I know what an architect is, someone who *designs* buildings, (or
> perhaps architects architecture), but I don't know what "to architect"
> means.

FYI, this use of "architect" is common in high-level software engineering
discussions. Just like any jargon, it is useful to those "in the know", but
harmful to those who are not familiar with the specific usage.

> Most modern developments are actually making English less useful rather
> than more useful.

I agree with you in part. Business "buzzwords" are especially annoying.
But who knows, maybe in a few hundred years, Bill Gates's books will be
considered the great literature of our age. ;)

>> Winston Churchill spoke about another stupid rule like this, about the
>> rule that says you can't end a sentence with a preposition, and he
>> replied something like "That is the kind of English up with which I will
>> not put."
>
> I don't agree with that rule [...]

Like most grammatical rules, this one was forged to prevent horrid misuse
that can arise from prepositions at the end of sentences. Also like most
grammatical rules, it should not be treated as the Gospel. If you cannot
rephrase (like you have done, below) to fix the preposition problem,
ignore it. Better to speak slightly "bad" English than stilted, textbook
language.

> but he could have said "That is the kind of English I will endure."

His words were carefully chosen to point out the kind of absurdity that
can arise when grammar is considered holy. I assume that your reversal
of his meaning was unintentional... :-P

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.
http://www.incogen.com/

GPG keyID 0x62386967 (7479 1A7A 46E6 041D 67AE  2546 A867 DBB1 6238 6967)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 62386967