Re: [tlug] [REMINDER] "Defending the Creative Commons"

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:58:39 +0100
patrick.niessen@example.com wrote:

> I am waiting for a benchmark test for languages so that we can forever know
> which language is best.  We already compare Programming Languages, so why
> not real languages too?

If you're serious, it's actually kind of an interesting topic - a couple weeks ago, I was reading a site by James Tauber - 		http://www.jtauber.com/linguistics/synthinar/
that deals with some of this.
The interesting thing is that he's also been quite involved with XML, right from the beginning.

> After such an objective test we can then easily select the language most
> appropriate for the job at hand:
>
> - for flirting italian or french
Possibly good choices.  My own extensive research has shown that the best is neither English nor pidgin-Japanese.

> - EULAs can be written in Latin
They're not already?

> - Signs in Chinese / Japanese
Works for me.  :-) (I now selectively ignore all of the 'No Smoking' signs that have popped up all over Chiyoda-ku.)

> - Philosophy German ....
(Images of Vogon Poetry... *shudder*) Kidding aside, I think that's a bad choice, given the German way of stringing huge words together to express fairly simple things.  Granted, they've had some of the best minds on the topic, but I think that expressing conceptual ideas in written German as opposed to say, Chinese, is a bit like using Visual Basic compared to Assembly Language.

Jim

> -------FROM-------------------------------
> Patrick Niessen
> IT-Manager / Planning & Controlling
> Gerling Allgemeine Versicherungs-AG, Japan Branch
> TEL. +81-3-5214-1361 / FAX. +81-3-5214-1365

> please see instructions at
> http://www.tlug.jp/list.html

Jim O'Connell
Global Dining System Support