Re: [tlug] JapaneseFonts/JapaneseKeyboard

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 12:48:38PM +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
> I just installed Red Hat 8.0 (which came in the January 2003 issue of
> "Linux World"), and everything is working well, but while selecting
> "Japanese" on bootup puts all the menus into Japanese, I have not been
> able to write any text in Japanese!  In looking at the font list, there
> seem to not be any Japanese fonts installed....  I picked "install
> everything" for the install (4.7GB!).  I'm assuming that I can put some
> Japanese fonts from another machine onto the system, and I have two
> questions regarding this:

Not quite sure from your question if you know how to input Japanese in
RedHat.  If you do, then please pardon this.  (Just that you've made no
mention of kinput and kterm, so, I'm going to guess that you lack
experience with it.)

Let me start by suggesting my own page at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html

See if any of the suggestions there help. You may have to set LC_CTYPE,
start kinput2 etc.  Again, not sure how much of this you already know,
but it's explained fairly clearly (I hope) on the abovementioned page.

HTH a bit

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Riley: Way I heard it. You were all peaceable now. You didn't by
any chance go and lose that pesky soul again, did you?
Angel: Don't push me, boy.
Riley: Now what possibly could've happened with Buffy that would
make you lose your soul?
Angel: That'd be between me and her.
Riley: Where do you think you're going?
Angel: Going to see an old girlfriend.