Re: [tlug] A greeting, followed promptly by a question, of course.

Botond Botyanszki wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Dec 2002 17:53:32 +0900
>ccd <ccd@example.com> wrote:
>

>>However, since my main gripe *is* with libs, I'm doing a "cp -ur
>>/opt/kde/lib* /usr/local/lib", and then again with /opt/gnome/lib...
>>Would it be a sound rationalization to believe that a symbolic link in
>>place of "/opt/<chosen WM>/lib" to "/usr/local/lib" is a simple
>>replacement for all these blasted libs?
>>

>Why don't you standardize on one libdir that you install your compiled libs into
>(like /usr/local/lib) which is visible to the linker?
>Or why don't you use the kde/gnome packages that come with your distribution
>that puts the libs in a sane place?
>Alternatively you might want to put /opt/kde/lib and /opt/gnome/lib into your
>ld.so.conf and rerun ldconfig.

Right on. The idea works. That's the new plan, man. cp -ur/rm -rf/ln -s.

>>I can never keep track of where
>>they've gone to.
>>

>That's the problem. This is not the windows world where you just click install
>and never know where those files end up. Even if you insist on compiling by
>hand, configure has switches (eg. --prefix) to override the install path.
>If you don't know where those libs will be copied before typing `make install`
>then you should forget hand compilation. This is meant to be an advice, not
>flaming.

Right you are, and that was my point. I'm not quite used to X/Gnome/KDE
yet, and wasn't aware the latter two installed their libs in someplace
other than /lib or /usr/local/lib. In all actuality, it was that
selfsame problem that forced me to learn the configure switches you
mention. I was just looking for the easier way, which would be to
reconcile all the lib directories and then hand out links. Advice taken,
flamability quotient ignored. ;) Do you think that it'd be kosher to do
the same to "include" directories as I've now done to the "lib"s? Thanks
again for your help, and lack of LARTing.