Re: [tlug] Apache mod_auth_pam module

Quoth Jim O'Connell (Wed 2002-11-27 12:21:04AM +0900):

> On Wednesday, November 27, 2002, at 12:02  AM, Josh Glover wrote:
> >
> ><Directory /home/httpd/htdocs/pamtest>
> >  AuthType Basic
> >  AuthName "pamtest"
> >  require valid-user
> ></Directory>
>
> I was under the impression that AuthType Basic was what you used only
> with plaintext auth, such as you get with htpassword.

From the Apache manual:

AuthType directive
Syntax: AuthType Basic|Digest
Context: directory, .htaccess
Override: AuthConfig

This directive selects the type of user authentication for a directory. Only
Basic and Digest are currently implemented. It must be accompanied by AuthName
and Require directives, and directives such as AuthUserFile and AuthGroupFile
to work.

See also: Authentication, Authorization, and Access Control

Digest-style authentication sends an MD5 digest of a password, and not the
clear-text password itself.

> You sure about that line? I would have guessed that that line would
> change with different types of authorization.

The mod_auth_pam documentation specifically says to use Basic, since the
user's web browser will transmit the password in the clear to Apache.

> If you do get it working, any chance of getting you to do a mini howto
> on this?

No chance of that, but a Quick-n-Dirty Guide should be forthcoming.

Slightly off-topic, the Samba codebase is a bigger mess than I would have
believed before looking at it. I guess "real C coders" do not need to
comment their code...

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.
http://www.incogen.com/

GPG keyID 0x62386967 (7479 1A7A 46E6 041D 67AE  2546 A867 DBB1 6238 6967)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 62386967