Re: [tlug] X needed? and, Project JE site is down

Botond Botyanszki (and BABA Yoshihiko) wrote:

> There are tools out there that can display japanese on the console. Namely
> kon2 and jfbterm.
> See Mike Fabian's docs:
> http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/japanese-text-console.html

Thank you.  I have gotten kon2 to work and properly display Japanese text on the
console.  So now, I can read Japanese.  The next step is to be able to _input_
it.  (I can finally see a real need for a GUI on linux, if it makes Japanese
input any easier!!)

The best option from Dr. Mike Fabian's page seems to be the canuum program.
However, I guess canuum is not available as a package-- at least, not for linux,
but there were some bsd source files, which I don't think would be worth
compiling on linux.  I did get the Canna server going, but don't have any
clients for it (eg canuum).  Installing Canna didn't install canuum.  If anyone
has any idea how to obtain canuum, please let me know (I searched TLUG's
archives and see that it was asked, but I'm not sure if that was before the
security issue was fixed).  There aren't too many man pages in English for any
of these programs, are there?

>Other pages for using Japanese
>
>http://www.mayin.org/aragorn/Japan/linux.html
>http://www.tlug.jp/m17n/

Thanks for those links... for the first, unfortunately I don't have Debian (and
I even tried searching their site for a canuum file), and for the second, I made
sure to check TLUG's links before asking here. :)

David Boudreau