Re: [tlug] Some guidelines for questions (was how to connect to internet using AirH card (NEC) on linux)

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 02:08:07PM +0900, Yogesh Naravane wrote:
> hello sir
>   i have installed linux on following pc
>
> http://www.fujitsu.ca/products/notebooks/lifebook_a_series/a4170.html>http:/
> /www.fujitsu.ca/products/notebooks/lifebook_a_series/a4170.html
>   (fujitsu lifebook A 4170)
>   i want to connect to internet using Air-H card (NEC) can you help me
> please

With the information given, it's quite difficult to answer. I've changed
the subject line as the archives are now working and perhaps some
newcomers will try searching the archives first.

If you are in NYC, using nyc.rr.com, (I'm not familiar with the Air-H,
but I'm guessing it's a wireless card) you'll need a wireless router,
or, if you already have a home network set up, a wireless access point.
Plug the router or WAP in, and, if you're using RedHat Linux 7.x or
better, you should be good to go.

HOWEVER---there's a very good chance that you're not using nyc.rr.com.
We have no way of knowing.

The problem here is that to help you, one has to play 20 questions.
Helpful information would be:
Who is your Internet Service Provider?  What method are they using to
connect to the Internet?  (If you're in Tokyo, it may be that someone is
using the same provider and has experienced a similar problem).

What type of Linux is on your machine?  There are many different
distributions, and the answer may vary from distro to distro. What
version of the distribution?  For example, it might be that RedHat 6.2
doesn't recognize your card but RedHat 8.0 does.

Is there already a network in your house?  (That is connected to the
second question, what method are you using to connect to the Internet).

Is your card recognized?  What does /sbin/ifconfig eth0 show?

If I might, I'd like to recommend two pages of mine that might help you
phrase your questions in a better way.

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.html

That's a faq for some more newcomer oriented mailing lists (TLUG is
really not oriented towards the newcomer--they are welcomed, but
expected to do a bit of homework before posting) and another one, a
guide for newcomers to mailing lists at

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/newbieguide.html

The second one has a link to Eric Raymond's How to Ask Questions the
Smart Way. That is also excellent reading. Taking a look at these three
pages will definitely make your life with Linux a bit easier.

I'm sorry I can't answer your question here, but as you hopefully see,
you haven't given us enough information to do so.

--

Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: Dorkhead? You lash me with your words!