Re: [tlug] Administrivia: Reminder to Would-Be Posters

Quoth Martin Baehr (Sat 2002-10-26 07:36:05PM +0200):

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 04:36:16PM -0400, Josh Glover wrote:
> >
> > 1) This list is not an appropriate forum for venting about how hard Linux is
> >    to learn / use / understand. I would suggest Microsoft advocacy lists for
> >    that sort of thing.
>
> why not?
> that topic is about linux, and therefore can not be offtopic.

Your logic here is a bit hard to follow. Think of a guy who joins a mailing
list for Porsche owners, and posts a long ramble about how crappy Porshces
are, how they always break, how expensive that are to own, and how owning a
Porsche has prevented him from enjoying driving, which was why he bought a
Porsche in the first place.

Is he particularly on-topic, or is he trolling?

> ofcourse mere "venting" would not be appropriate,
> but a meaningfull discussion is.

Right. I agree with you here.

> i did not see much venting in the recent thread.

I did, in parts, but I was referring to an earlier thread, in which someone
mentioned how much he hated Linux. My response, which I am sure is in-tune
with many on this list, if not the majority, was:

"So why use Linux? And further, why tell us about your hatred of something
 that we enjoy?"

I think the Porsche owners would agree.

--
Josh Glover <josh@example.com>

Listmaster
Tokyo Linux Users Group (TLUG)
http://www.tlug.jp/

GPG keyID 0x62386967 (7479 1A7A 46E6 041D 67AE  2546 A867 DBB1 6238 6967)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 62386967