[tlug] Re: Japanese Language Settings??????

Before I comment on your question, a small note about the endangered
characters '?!'. Please do not abuse them, if everyone would use as
much '?' as you used in your posting, we would run out of them very
quickly. Hords of nice little fairies have to work very hard to
produce all these characters we use on our systems. ;-)

Graeme Jensen wrote:

> # .bashrc
> export LANG=ja_JP;
                   ^[1]
> export XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2";
                                 ^[1]
> export LC_MESSAGES=en_US;
                     ^[2] ^[1]
> exec kinput2 -canna &
  ^[3]               ^[4]

[1] ';' are not required at the end of the line, however they don't
    hurt, except you are typing more
[2] You may want to use LANG=en_US LC_CTYPE=ja_JP instead. This is a
    "japanese with english messages" or "english with japanese
    character support" question.
[3] I strongly suspect you don't want the exec there, this is
    effectively to "kinput2 -canna &; exit" and I doubt you want the
    script processing to end at this line.
    "exec" overwrites the currently running program (bash) with the
    exec'ed program (kinput2).
[4] You may want to add "-xim", but as you say input works it probably
    is not needed.

> All messages (headers and contents) appear as ????????

[Of course it's okay to use ? here]

I'd suggest you to look at your font settings, your font probably
does not contain japanese characters, so the default character '?'
gets displayed. :-)

--
Tobias								PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits