[tlug] scp or mail w/ uuencode

I'd very much appreciate your advice on the following matter, please.

* I am setting up a cronjob (on the same box) that I
mean to use to backup a database, probably on a daily
basis.
I can get it to do a database dump and compress that
file. But I need to get a copy of that file onto a
local site (linux). uuencode'ing it and using "mail" , to
mail it to a local account? This might get to be a
pretty big database, so I am looking for other ways.
A friend mentioned scp. I haven't tried that yet.
Would that be the best option?
Thanks!