[tlug] MRTG without SNMP: how-to?

I remember a posting on the list a few months back where someone showed how
to use mrtg to monitor bandwidth *without* using SNMP to gather the data ...

I tried finding the post in the  archives but the search engine is down
*and* the list archives only go back to March ...

I'm currently using MRTG 2.9.22 and net-snmp-5.0.3 but the bandwidth
monitoring seems to have some problems ... it always peaks at 10Mbps even
though it can (and does) go higher ... So I am thinking there is either a
problem with the SNMP reporting, my setup of SNMP or MRTG ...

So I'd first like to eliminate SNMP as the culprit by using another way to
get badnwidth usage data ...

Does anyone remember that posting, or better yet can the original poster
(Tobias maybe?) explain again how to get network usage stats without using
SNMP?

Jc