Re: [tlug] Funny locale problem with Gentoo

On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 11:09, Stuart Bouyer wrote:

> I have had a similair problem with certain apps refusing to run if I had
> XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2" exported, mostly using Scott's langx script. I
> needed to change the script to
>
> #!/bin/bash
> XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2" LANGUAGE=en_US LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
> LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP ${1+"$@"} &
>
> LC_TYPE=ja_JP.eucJP just wouldn't work for me in Gentoo, worked fine in
> Mandrake, though.
>
> The reason, I think, that it works from menus and not from command line
> is that some the menus often don't pick up exported variables.

Weird. I usually put the following in /etc/X11/Sessions/Gnome
or /etc/X11/Sessions/enlightenment:

# handle japanese chars
export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.eucJP

# setup japanese input
kinput2 &
export XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"

This exports the variables for my entire X session, so I get
Japanese support whether or not I use menus. I've never had
a problem, except for briefly after the upgrade, as I mentioned
(but that was such a disaster it could have been any of a
number of problems).

Ryan