[tlug] Is it me or is the kernel broken

Sorry, I couldn't resist the subject line.  Seriously, I always assume
it's me, but..

I'm having trouble mounting a FreeBSD partition in Linux.

My kernel has UFS support compiled in as a module and BSD disklable
compiled in monolithically? (That can't be the right term, but anyway..)
I'm running Gentoo 1.4, uname -a showing kernel 2.4.19-r9 (a Gentoo
patched kernel, but please read a little further.)

First I tried mount -t ufs /dev/hdb1 freebsd  (the name of the directory
I made for it, obviously enough.)
No go. Back to the man page and google.

mount -t ufs -o ufstype=44bsd /dev/hdb1 freebsd

Still no go (the error message of wrong file system type, bad superblock
etc in all cases).

A little more googling.

mount -t ufs -o ufstype=44bsd /dev/ide/hd/c0b0t1u0p1

Still no luck.  Tried the various other partitions, as I thought it
might be pointing to the wrong slice in FreeBSD, that is 1u0p2, etc, but
that wasn't the case.

A little more googling.  Several hits, but all relatively old, that
is, from 1999 and earlier.

Finally, a newer hit, where Greg Lehey (Author of Complete FreeBSD) says
that there might be a problem in the newer Linux kernels, as apparently
FreeBSD's file system has changed. Another hit from another FreeBSD guru
Giorgos, also indicating that the trouble is in the Linux kernel--he
gives a quick and dirty hack which I haven't tried, not being a
programmer and figuring I'm quite likely to break something.

I apologize for the length of this, but wanted to give the steps that
I'd followed, in case I'm missing something stupidly obvious. My
question, after all this is simply have various changes in Linux and
FreeBSD made it so that one can not mount a FreeBSD partition in Linux?
(FreeBSD 4.7prerelease). Or have I missed something that everyone but
myself knows?

FWIW, I have no trouble mounting ext3 partitions in FreeBSD (with the
EXT2FS option added to the FreeBSD kernel). I can't mount reiser
partitions, but apparently this is normal and not my ignorance.

TIA and again, apologies for the length of this.
--

Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6 )

Kendra: I call it Mr. Pointy.
Buffy: You named your stake?
Kendra: Yes.
Buffy: Remind me to get you a stuffed animal.