Re: [tlug] i-mode i18n

Jim Breen wrote:

> No, the line is that the "Han Unification" polluted the characterspace
> by mixing Chinese-looking characters with Japanese-looking ones.
> Accoding to their line, the character "7", which in many European
> countries is (hand)written with an extra horizontal stroke, should have
> two code-points. ISO-10646/Unicode's unification principle is that the
> glyph is a rendering issue. JIS X 0221 (the Japanese edition of
> ISO-10646) goes so far as to print Japanese/Chinese/Korean
> representative glyphs for many kanji to try and emphasize this point,
> but the cranks have closed their minds.

Spinning this a little further just to make sure I understand the
problem more or less correctly: Unicode cannot be blamed for cultural
imperialism because it just sets the *coding* for identical symbols, but
those so-called Unicode *fonts* are indeed a bad idea because they don't
allow for different rendering of unified han? Or is it still possible to
match Chinese and Japanese rendering styles in a Unicoded document
within a single font, provided the text declares the language tag
correctly? And how would you do this without a markup language like XML
or HTML?

> TRON as an embedded OS is not a bad idea. It's a pity it got mixed up
> with a pack of code-set Luddites.

I had never heard of TRON before (actually I had, but that was a Disney
movie back in the eighties). What's the catch over embedded Linux, for
example?

Cheers
Ulrich Plate