Re: [tlug] Latency thru firewall

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Sven Simon wrote:

> The firewall I'm sitting behind doesn't let ICMP traffic thru and I
> only have the ssh port open, so ping obviously times out. Is there
> another way to determine the latency to the machine I connect to
> via ssh other than using ping?
>
> sftp is enabled, too if that helps me anyhow.
>
> Any ideas?

Try this command.

time nmap -n -sT -p 22 -P0 <ip address to "ping">

This will get you through the firewall on tcp port 22 and will give you a decent estimate of the time it took.  You'll want to read the "real" time, not "user" or "sys".  It's not pretty and not the most accurate, but I think it'll give you what you're looking for.

--
Mike Gauthier
All-purpose lackey

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Ben Franklin