Re: [tlug] Hardisk not playing along

Godwin Stewart <gstewart@example.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 00:44:23 +0900, Ulrich Plate <plate@example.com>
> squashed this out of the keyboard:
>
> > So I went and fdisked /dev/hda to see what's going on, and it moans
> > about status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest } again.
>
> It looks like /dev/hda works in PIO mode while /dev/hdb is UDMA
> compatible...

So what's my next move then? I've tried disabling UDMA for the primary
IDE in the BIOS, but that doesn't change a bit. I can switch manually to
different PIO modes for the drives, I can disable read/write
prefetching, block mode, and I've pretty much tried all permutations
already, but none of those changes are reflected later, the error
message is always the same, no matter what I do to the BIOS. Do I have
to manipulate the drive itself in any way? Any suggestions how I would
do that? I'm refusing to give up just yet, I mean, both drives
peacefully coexisted in the older desktop, didn't they. And besides, if
I want to emerge X, I'll need the extra space, very badly so. At 700 MB
just in /var/tmp/portage at times, this is nothing you want to try on a
2 GB drive alone...

Grateful for any help with this
Ulrich Plate