Re: [tlug] Notebook Question

One further question, then comments following on my previous questions.

"dmesg" is full of lines saying:

	mtrr: no more MTRRs available

/var/log/messages says it was repeated 229 times.

Early in the boot I see:

	kernel: mtrr: v1.40 (20010327) Richard Gooch (rgooch@example.com)
	kernel: mtrr: detected mtrr type: Intel

Is this something I should worry about.

My kernel is 2.4.18-10 Wed Aug 7 11:39:21 EDT 2002

>> From: Godwin Stewart <gstewart@example.com>
>> On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 13:43:46 +1000 (EST), Jim Breen
>> <jwb@example.com> squashed this out of the keyboard:
>>
>> > (b) I'm having trouble setting my hostname. It was suggested in March
>> > that I use "HOSTNAME=...." in /etc/sysconfig/network, but this time that
>> > broke a few things and stopped X from launching.
>>
>> You have to do that, also obviously "# hostname new_name".
>>
>> I don't remember whether RH reads from /etc/HOSTNAME at boot time or whether
>> that file gets written to. On Slackware, it is read and the hostname set
>> from it.
>>
>> Finally, you have to create the entry for new_name in your /etc/hosts
>> otherwise you *will* run into problems with applications which require the
>> machine's IP - X is one.

Thanks. What has ended up working best for me is:

	"hostname whatever" in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
	adding whatever to /etc/hosts

Having it set earlier seemed to slow down sendmail and ISP
authentication.

>> From: Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>
>> Quoth Jim Breen (Sat 2002-09-14 01:43:46PM +1000):
>> >=20
>> > (a) where do I kick off kinput2 at boot time? I put it in
>> > /etc/rc.d/rc.local, but it doesn't work there. I suspect it is because
>> > canna hasn't properly initialized yet.
>>
>> You need kinput2 to start after X has started. Slap it in your .xinitrc or,
>> if you are using Gnome, add it to your startup items or whatever they call
>> it. You probably want to do something like:
>>
>> kinput2 -canna &

In my case "kinput2 -canna -xim &" as I want it to work with Mozilla,
Tk, etc.

I tried putting it in .xinitrc but it doesn't start. Looking in
.xsession-errors I see:

	Warning: Conversion Server not found
	Warning: Conversion Server not found
	Warning: Conversion Server not found

I suspect it is because it takes a while for canna to start up and the
kinput2 initialization is getting there too fast.

>> Of course, you can just start it manually when you need it.

Yes, not a huge hassle, in fact I could have a cron that looked for it
running and started it if it wasn't, but getting it going properly
would be best.

>> From: Mike Gauthier <mike@example.com>
>> Be sure to set your XMODIFIERS variable before you run kinput2 (example XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"; export XMODIFIERS).

That is set already. I think RedHat does it when I say I want Japanese
support.

Many thanks for the help.

Jim

--
Jim Breen  (j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298