Re: [tlug] Draft: Quickie Guide to GPG

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 09:13:29PM +0900, simon colston wrote:

>Thanks for the guide Jonathan - it finally pushed me into signing stuff.  It was clear and well explained.  The only question I have is why you chose reason 2 for the revoke command.

You might want to check your line length settings; the above is all one big
line; or maybe you've crossed the line and started using MS-style,
in which case we'll have to kill you :-)

As for reason 2, I had to pick something :-)  Seriously, though,
my reasoning was along the lines of not wanting to choose
"compromised" if it wasn't actually, so 2 seemed the
most reasonable choice for something being prepared in advance.
I haven't dug into the docs yet to find out exactly what's contained
in the revocation block, but on the assumption a machine-readable
reason code might be in there, I chose to not go with "compromised"
as the revocation reason.

>I'd be grateful if someone would confirm that I'm now signing my mail correctly.

Signed correctly.  However, the keyserver you chose doesn't answer, not
even to pings.

The reason I put pgp.mit.edu in the examples is that it's the most
reliable keyserver I know.  wwwkeys.pgp.net is, obviously, not :-P
No worries; I got your key from pgp.mit.edu.  You might
want to revise your .signature, though :-)

And of course, if anybody knows a keyserver they think is better
than pgp.mit.edu, by all means let me know.

Jonathan
--
GPG key: DF12B4EF (5399 C834 3ABB C3AF 610C  5345 D5D6 E6EA DF12 B4EF)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys  DF12B4EF