Re: [tlug] Class B Hubs not suitable for data center use?

>From: bruno raoult <br@example.com>
>
>Just a question, because I don't know switching very well: Do you mean
>that switches know the routing tables?

No. By switching we mean decide which of the physical hub/swicth ethernet
ports to put the packet on. The switch can figure this out because it has
cached the MAC address of each machine connected to each port.

So when a message comes in for a machine with a certain MAC address it knows
which port to put the packet on.

This is Layer 2 switching. You could say it is like routing (Layer 3) but
using MAC address (Layer 2). (ok maybe not such a good analogy).

HTH,

Jc