Re: [tlug] Class B Hubs not suitable for data center use?

"Jonathan Q" <jq@example.com> wrote:

> Switch: Receives packets on an interface and sends them out only the interface
> to which they are destined. [...]  It is not possible for
> a machine on any of the other ports to sniff packets on this network.  This
> makes switched networks inherently more secure than non-switched networks.

I am sure Jonathan knows this, but the above is not _completely_ true.
A switch does forward packets that are destined to unknown hosts (i.e.
not in its MAC cache [not ARP cache]) to all (but the originating) ports.

All in all, although a switched ethernet is more secure, one should not
assume that an ethernet cannot be sniffed, switched or not.

Stephen