Re: [tlug] Stopping Spam and viruses

On 8/29/2002, "Scott Robbins" <scottro@example.com> wrote:

>On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 10:40:31AM +0900, Jonathan Q wrote:

>> The settings I've always seen in RH are high, medium, and none.  What
does
>> "normal" mean?  If it means none, that would be bad.

>No, that's not the case.  None would be the same as if you did ipchains
>-F

That's my point exactly.  The available choices are "High, Medium, and None."
None is "no firewalling" so I'm trying to find out where this "normal" figure
came from.  I believe Mandrake has a setting called that, which provides a
little bit of firewalling, but the RH canned choices are High, Medium, None,
not "High, Medium, Normal."

>XP now has a builtin firewall.  I forget what it does.  Err, I guess it
>blocks stuff.

It's sort of a black box, but you want to avoid XP.  Besides all of the
existing reasons to not use doze, the licensing agreement changes that come
with the XP Service Pack and (IIRC) the latest Windows Media Player are
tanatmount to having you just box up yoru PC, tape a note with the admin
password on top, and ship it to Redmond.  Maybe they'll let you use it once in
a while if you're a good little drone.

GPG key: DF12B4EF (5399 C834 3ABB C3AF 610C  5345 D5D6 E6EA DF12 B4EF)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys  DF12B4EF