Re: [tlug] Japanese encoding

[Brett Robson (Re: [tlug] Japanese encoding) writes:]
>> It *was* very bad. I fired photon torpedeos at them until they fixed it.

Ahhh.

>> It was out sourced to a local company and had a Japanese charset (obviously
>> the default) on all pages. Some of the "Japanese characters" were actually
>> mistakes, double byte characters that should have been plain ASCII.

Yes, common and sloppy.

>> I pointed out that they really shouldn't put Japanese on an English page.

Balls! Why shouldn't they? Within reason, mixed languages are fine.
A hellava lot of Japanese pages have English words in them.

>> I'm not a language snob by any means, but a site that has an "Official
>> Australian Government Site" stamp on the front page needs to maintain some
>> standards.

Agreed.

Jim

--
Jim Breen  (j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298