Re: [tlug] Japanese encoding

Jim Breen wrote:

> Er, no. My Mozilla says it's Shift_JIS too. (My browser sits in
> Japanese autodetect mode.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I had not set mine to autodetect. You're
right, but that doesn't make the four little '>' in the line that indicates
the level on the forum tree get displayed right. Any browser autodetecting
Shift-JIS believes they're Shift-JIS, too, and displays two katakana sa
instead. That's the kind of chaotic behaviour I'd like to avoid while still
accepting input from Japanese browsers. I was hoping to be able to create
the entire site with an encoding of charset=utf-8, but I'm not even sure
whether that's feasible, let alone advisable to begin with. To tell you the
whole truth, I've just started working with phpBB yesterday, let me come
back and moan some more once I've managed to know a little more about it...

Ulrich Plate