Re: [tlug] Japanese encoding

This probably extends the scope of the original post a little (apologies for
the usurpation attempt): I want to build a small phpBB community accepting
both Japanese and non-Japanese posts, but have no idea what I need to do to
make it consistently work right. *All* the phpBB forums I've seen so far
have got it wrong, e.g. the official Jet Li website or the allonjapan.com
forum, but I'd really like to avoid the mistakes they made... The most
frequent error seems to be that the default encoding for page elements like
the arrows in the forum tree hierarchy is quite obviously
iso-8859-something, but posts are in Shift-JIS. When looking at pages like
http://forum.allonjapan.com/viewforum.php?forum=6, for example,
autodetection in IE on Windows thinks it's Shift-JIS,
Mozilla/Konqueror/Galeon on Linux believe it's Western, meaning none of them
get it more than partly right...

Clues anyone?
Ulrich Plate