Re: [tlug] Japanese encoding

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 10:17, Brett Robson wrote:

> For instance, if you have a web form that accepts data, will the computer
> that the user is using will send data in whatever encoding that computer
> uses? Or the server?

if apache serves a EUC-JP (for example) encoded form, then most browsers
will submit the data that the user enters as EUC-JP. note that this
doesn't apply for file uploads via a form, though.

> (I wouldn't think so) So is it true that my cgi script
> running on Linux Apache could receive data any practically any format?

well, it is possible,but rare these days, that the browser will not
behave correctly as explained above. but in general your script will
receive data encoded in the same encoding as the form that was served.

you probably will want to study this carefully to get a batter
understanding:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html#h-17.13.3.3

cheers

ryan