Re: [tlug] The meaning of B in Kb/secs?

Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> >From my apache server config-status I get:
>
> 48.9 requests/sec - 413.7 kB/second - 8.5 kB/request
>
> Is that kilobits or kilobytes?

That is kilobytes. 413.7 kB/second means you're using a bandwidth of
approximately 3.5 megabit per second.

> The reason I ask is that the pipe to my server at a data center is a
> 100MB/sec pipe (which I assumes means 100 Megabytes/sec) and if my apache
> server is dishing out 413.7 Kilobytes/sec does that mean I am only using

I doubt you have a 100 Megabyte/s pipe, more likely it's 100 Mbit/s (that's
what a Fast Ethernet connection will do, for example). If it's not too much
of a price difference, I'd stick with the 100 Mbit/s, you're already at 35
percent of a 10 Mbit/s connection's capacity.

Cheers
Ulrich Plate