[tlug] For the sake of discussion, Arcane commands?

Tlug,

For the sake of discussion, here are some command that I've been kind of
tinkering on for a few days as I dwell into the vastness Linux studies.

I've been puzzled with some of the commands for text streams and text
processing and filtering; cut, expand, fmt, head, join, nl, od, pr,
split, tac, tail, and wc.

How many of you use any of the above mentioned commands?

In a practical sense, I know that many applications used today generate
files which are not text based therefore it would kind of be
inappropriate to use any of them.

Maybe because I never been in an environment where I had to used any of
the above commands I lack that knowledge and or experience with them,
Upon reading on them my first impression was that such command where
arcane and out of date, today!  There are probably many applications
doing the same type of process probably without even referring to any or
the commands mentioned.

In a practical sense and for discussion purposes only!

In a practical sense have you used any one them lately?

Do keep in mind that I putting this out for discussion only and to get a
sense if there is really a need to know them (cut, expand, fmt, head,
join, nl, od, pr, split, tac, tail, and wc).

Your comments, views, opinions, and any anecdote you may have regarding
any those commands will be greatly welcome and appreciated.

As always Thanks in advance

Eric O. Flores
http://www.noacchi.com