Re: [tlug] remote

Hoshino,

You can log into a remote machine with ssh. It works just
like a terminal on your local machine. From there you do
most things, e.g. edit files, reboot. If ssh is installed
on both machines, just type "ssh username@example.com" from a
terminal window to connect to the remote machine.

But there are certain things that you can't do remotely
over the network, as they happen before the network is up.
For example, you cannot change BIOS settings or manually
enter lilo boot parameters.

This is mostly a limitation of PC hardware. Real Servers(tm)
can operate from a serial console (e.g. old-style serial terminal)
which you can run through a terminal server to get access over the
network. There are special boards you can plug into PCs to get
a similar ability, but they are not cheap.

If you are lucky, you can do most things remotely over the
network anyway, but if the machine doesn't come up properly
after a reboot, you will need someone in front of the console.

Regards,
Jake