Re: [tlug] command line

    Matt> It is mind boggling to have installed the OS, and still not
    Matt> know something so fundamental.

Not really.  Speaking of foolish analogies, could you tune a
late-model car?  I stopped trying in the early '80s.

But of course that is only an analogy.  It breaks down immediately
following the first successful boot.  If _you_ don't tune your car,
_you_ pay for the extra fuel and the repairs to your engine when the
pistons gash the cylinders.  If _you_ don't tune _your_ firewall, _I_
get DoSsed.

So we have a world in which it's as easy to switch from Windows to
Linux as it is to switch from Ford to Toyota, but unfortunately the
costs of remaining ignorant about internals are much more likely to be
borne by others in the case of OSes.

    Matt> On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 12:04:35AM +0000, shane eastwood wrote:

    >> I think myself brave, a non-expert, whose hobby isnt
    >> computers!!  think before you tap!

Sound advice ... for you too.

You, and people like you, are the relative newcomers here.  That
doesn't mean you don't have "rights"---it just means that there are
existing arrangements and customs that long-timers are comfortable
with.  Make those folks uncomfortable, and they'll leave.

Leaving is relatively low-cost, too.  The "arrogant snobs," pretty
much without exception, are capable of hosting their own mailing
lists.  Some of them have left TLUG (the ones I've always found most
interesting and helpful to me personally).  Let's not accelerate the
departure of the wizards; it hurts _you_ most.

Constructively, there may be better venues for questions when you
don't have the background that is expected on TLUG.  I think there's a
Tokyo PC Users group that has a rep for treating those questions
sympathetically.  Or maybe TLUG could split off a second list for
newbie questions.