Re: [tlug] dtime

    hatuhiro> What is the meaning of "dtime"?

Deletion TIME.

If 0, not deleted.  What happens is that when you delete a file, the
kernel immediately marks its directory entry as "dead", but there is
some housekeeping, including setting the timestamp for deletion, which
occur later.  Since the timestamp is not critical, the actual
insertion of the timestamp may be delayed to the next timeslice,
rather than disabling interrupts and forcing "atomic" completion in
the same timeslice.

If the system goes down without unmounting the file system, the buffer
containing the deletion time information may not get flushed to disk,
and the next time you boot you'll get messages like

    hatuhiro> /dev.hda2 was not cleanly unmounted. check forced.
    hatuhiro> Deleted inode 63759 has zero dtime. FIXED.

Because it's no big deal, it gets fixed without human intervention.

I don't know which man to RTFM, I think this is one of those things
you pick up in general books on file system architecture and
implementation, or by communing with the source.