Re: [tlug] Ghostscript hell

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 12:26:02PM +1000, Jim Breen wrote:

> I've been successfully using them for a while. I like to add my own
> collection to the ones that come with RH7.x, and I find the documentation a
> tad sparse on how to do this. I have summarized the steps at
> http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/rhjpnttf.html

Good stuff, but no Ghostscript :(

May I comment?

: the fonts need to be available in the /usr/share/fonts/ja/TrueType/
: directory. (This directory will have been created if you identify at
: installation time that Japanese is a language you want to use.) I'm not
: sure if it is OK for them to be in another directory such as
: /usr/share/fonts/default/TrueType/.

Yes, it is. If you put the fonts somewhere other than the default
location, you'll need to edit the XFS config file (usually
/etc/X11/xfs/config or /etc/X11/fs/config). The 'catalogue' parameter
specifies the font path. It's a typical colon-separated list of paths.

Also, if you have XFree86 4.x, you *may* be able to use Japanese fonts
without running XFS, simply by enabling the XTT module in XF86Config
(the basics of the procedure are described in the standard XFree86
docs).  I've tried that, though, and found that Western TTFs worked but
not the Japanese ones--which seems odd. After all, why bother including
XTT at all if it's a crippled version that won't render Japanese fonts?

Actually, I suspect it may have been an encoding problem or something
else wrong with my configuration, but was unable to find any detailed
info on the problem. So I just went back to my trusty xfs-xtt.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA