Re: [tlug] share

Martin Baehr (mbaehr@example.com) wrote:

> only binaries and data which are identical across all machines
> using the same distribution.

You've just constrained that a *lot* :-p  Who do you know
with such a uniform network?  It's hard to find that much
uniformity even on a Windows network.  I deal with two flavors
of BSD, Solaris on Sparc and Intel, several flavors of Linux,
and several different versions of those.  I don't think I
want to go around sharing /usr :-)

> the whole point of /usr nowadays is to make it sharable.
> if i can't share /usr, then i can't share anything.

You can't share anything :-)

OK, there's one thing you can share: have all your users NFS mount
/home, which is not on their local machine at all.  Solves your
backup problem.  Apart from that, I would prefer to steer away
from sharing the rest unless I was going all the way to the other
extreme and booting everything over the LAN.  Stand back and pass
the Gig-E please :-)