Re: [tlug] [OT]: PHP/MySQL: Japanese input/ouput prgramming advicedocs sought

> Is this comment specifically for Postgress? I always tought it was
> more efficient to get a DB to sort results than doing it
> programmatically.

I think is more of a general statement, although I've heard varying
stories from both parties.  Of course, the key word was "lots" in the
previous statement where probably on a smaller scale, the efficiency
issue might be considered neglible.

Regardless, I don't know if it's available for PHP, but you might want
to see if it has a collation module somewhere.  I heard that PHP is
capable of supporting plugin type of situations with say Java and
perhaps other languages (most likely C, etc.).  Java has a pretty good
collation module that handles UTF so you might want to look into this to
handle sorting Unicode situations.  If you do a search for
internationalization (especially for things like race encoding), you'll
find that Java module.  It's offered through IBM from what I remember.