Re: [tlug] Re: Piping stderr?

At 01 Jul 2002 17:10:09 +0900,
Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

>> Let me show you the simple CSI program
>
> For heaven's sake, do you think I couldn't write that for myself?

 On this list, there are a lot of people who are not interested in
I18N and don't know well about it.  And actually I couldn't help
doubting your mb*/wc* knowledge when you wrote "libcsi" idea.

> You just don't get it, do you?  It's _all about error handling_, and
> better yet, error prevention.  Show me how you handle that buffer to
> ensure that when recoded according to the current locale and passed to
> creat(2) it Does What I Mean.

 Strip the locale and use it as on UTF-8 locale then filter it,
that's what I'm saying, and that's your way.

 If you use on the SJIS locale, yes, error will occur.
That's helpless ith CSI. But you can avoid by stripping that locale.

 UTF-8 hard-coding program never have this problem, but
you can only use UTF-8 codesets as filename.  That's what we call trade-off.

 You prefer UTF-8 hard-coding, even it has incompatibly with legacy codesets.
I prefer CSI, even it has filename handling problem.
OR if there are the rule "file name must be UTF-8", then just
use iconv(3) before calling creat(4).  But there is no such standard.
--
Jiro SEKIBA | Web tools & AP Linux Competency Center, YSL, IBM Japan