[tlug] Re: Japanese in Gentoo

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 11:30:31AM -0500, Stuart Luppescu wrote:
> After 6 years using RedHat, I've decided to switch to Gentoo (cue the
> Legions of RedHat Haters: ``it's about time!''), but I've heard that
> support for Japanese is ``experimental.'' Supposedly, there are ebuilds
> for kinput2 and canna, but has anyone actually used them? Any first-hand
> experiences to report?

Heh--the devloper, Ryan, is on this list, but don't follow his
instructions, follow mine.  :)

Seriously, there are a few problems--see my page
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html and use those
ebuilds rather than the official ones--towards the end of the page is a
Gentoo section.

Now, the other problem is that it often won't work if you have KDE
installed--Jack got his to work by uninstalling qt libraries and
something else--Jack, please elaborate when you see this--was it qt libs
and X?

I've found the best way to do it is to install immediately after
installing X.

The reason I say don't use the official ebuild--the kinput2 isn't
official yet, as far as I know, and the one that Ryan made is looking
for canna in /usr/portage/app-misc--
At any rate, it's fairly well explained on my page, along with the two
ebuilds that are there--if, after reading it, something's not clear,
come back and ask, as I'd have to consider that a bug in the
documentation.

HTH
Scott from NY  :)