[tlug] chown/chgrp question (for mysql install)

The INSTALL file for the mysql binary says at one point to do the following:

chown -R root  /usr/local/mysql
chown -R mysql /usr/local/mysql/data
chgrp -R mysql /usr/local/mysql
chown -R root /usr/local/mysql/bin

Isn't the last step redundant sine the owner was set with the first chown
command?

Just wondering ... I'm pretty sure I am right but I then again these are
installation instructions from MySQL itself so I thought I should just make
sure.

Jc