Re: [tlug] Mozilla - comment and questions

["Stephen J. Turnbull" (Re: [tlug] Mozilla - comment and questions) writes:]

>>     Jim> How do TLUGers feels about Mozilla, and the state it has
>>     Jim> reached with 1.0?
>>
>> It's usable.  I guess I'm starting to trust it, but it crashes more
>> often than I'd like.

It doesn't seem to go into Java*-induced tailspins as often as
Nutscrape.

>>     Jim> Mozilla, just to be different, sends out the text in whatever
>>     Jim> the page's coding is. So If I'm looking at a EUC-coded page,
>>     Jim> that's what it sends, etc. etc. A real pain in the arse, as
>>     Jim> if the string is short it is very hard to detect the coding
>>     Jim> reliably.
>>
>> Read the Content-Type header coming into the server?

Well, most Japanese pages don't have a <meta http-equiv ..> line.

Anyway, since posting that cri-de-coeur I have poked around at the
various document objects in Javascript. As implemented in Mozilla 1.0
at least there is an object "document[characterSet]" which seems to reliably
hold things like "EUC-JP" and Shift_JIS" depending on what the page
holds. It sets this up according to eithet the charset setting or the
autodetect outcome. It seems I'm heading towards a solution.

FWIW, neither IE5 nor NS4.x report the character set in a useful way.

The following snippet in a page is very informative:

<script>
for (i in document)
{
  document.write("Property = " + i + " Value = " + document[i] + "<BR>\n")
}
</script>

Jim

--
Jim Breen  [j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298