Re: [tlug] cs grad school in japan

Michael Moyle (michael@example.com) wrote:

> in Japan and know how they work? I don't speak Japanese, which
> appears to be a major
> stumbling block

Umm, yeah :-)

The standard undergrad admission requirement for non-native Japanese speakers to
enter a Japanese university is to have passed Level 1 on the Japanese
Language Proficiency Test (JPLT), which is pretty advanced.  You need
a very solid command of the entire Joyo Kanji, and also advanced listening
and grammar skills.  I didn Level 2 several years ago, and it's fairly
challenging (passed on the second attempt).  The exam is offered yearly
in December at points throughout Japan and various other countries.

 at all the universities I checked out. One member, Mauro,
> mentioned that he enrolled somewhere and was offered classes. Where was
> that?

Probably Temple.  Don't know if they offer a graduate program or not,
they seem to mostly offer basic computer and programming classes.
Temple is not accredited in Japan, which from their point of view is
not necessarily a bad thing, and may even be a positive selling point
(so a Temple staff member once told me).

Jonathan