[tlug] ncurses error when compiling new kernel

Curses ... I keep getting this error when trying to use 'make menuconfig':

[root@example.com linux-2.4]# make menuconfig
rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
make -C scripts/lxdialog all
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.9-31/scripts/lxdialog'
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

>>Unable to find the Ncurses libraries.
>>
>>You must have Ncurses installed in order
>>to use 'make menuconfig'

But I swear I have ncurses installed ...

[root@example.com linux-2.4]# rpm -qa | grep ncurses
ncurses-5.2-12

What gives ... how do I make 'make menuconfig' happy? I've been using 'make
config' but would be much happier with menuconfig ;)

Jc