Re: [tlug] PLEASE READ--I may have sent you a Virus!

["Stephen J. Turnbull" (Re: [tlug] PLEASE READ--I may have sent you a Virus!) writes:]

>>     >>> I think you'll find that this is the case for many of us on
>>     >>> this list.  However, I do believe that there *are* indeed
>>     >>> viruses around at least for Linux, maybe also for other forms
>>     >>> of Unix.
>>
>>     Jim> So I have heard, but I know of no specific instances.
>>
>> The first ELF viruses were written in about 1998.
>>
>> Rick Moen has a discussion at http://www.linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#virus.

And as Rick says: "The first "virus" (arguably, actually a trojan or worm)
for Linux was named "Bliss", created in 1997 as a proof of concept" and
"claims of "Bliss" infections outside deliberate lab-only deployment by
virus researchers are, in point of fact, considered suspect."

>>     >>> I do not know how these viruses are transmitted not how they
>>     >>> infect a box.  The only thing I know is that we should not let
>>     >>> complacency set in. The "I use Unix, therefore I'm
>>     >>> invulnerable" mentality is not a Good Thing (TM).
>>
>>     Jim> Yeah I know, but I never pass up a chance to crow to 'doze
>>     Jim> users
>>
>> Well, we're not invulnerable, but a little bit of personal hygiene
>> goes a long way.  It seems very likely *nix viruses will never be a
>> threat.

Again to quote Rick: "If you simply never run untrusted executables while
logged in as the root user (or equivalent), all the "virus checkers" in the
world will be at best superfluous; at worst, downright harmful.  "Hostile"
executables (including viruses) are almost unfindable in the Linux world --
and no real threat to it"

Jim

--
Jim Breen  [j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298