Re: [tlug] FreeBSD.....Linux what's the difference

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 12:47:48AM +0000, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> Discussion on the ML? What month? I'd like to read it since I am trying to
> decide on FreeBSD vs. Linux for a web server. I'd use the ML search engine
> to find it myself but it's down currently ...
<snip>
> I hear one vote for BSD as teh OS for my server. Does disagree and suggest
> Linux?

BTW the discussion was in April. As for determining which OS to run,
I'd say chose the OS you are most comfortable administering and be
sure to maintain good sysadmin practices. Knowing how to successfully
run a server may be more of an issue than which stable OS to use.

If you have little or or no experience with either OS, then I'd recommend
Linux. To be more specific, I'd recommend Debian GNU/Linux over any other
Linux distribution and over FreeBSD. I recommend Linux because the
documentation for running and securing a Linux server can be easily
found; and Linux provides support for journalling filesytems. FreeBSD
does not support journalling filesystems. I believe that journalling
filesystems are a large step forward for Unix and Unix-like operating
systems. As for finding documentation for administering FreeBSD YMMV.

-- Uva