Re: [tlug] ADSL provider...

[B0Ti (Re: [tlug] ADSL provider...) writes:]

>> I'm just planning to switch over from SO-NET FLETS ADSL 1.5M to cableTV. With flets I could get around 1M downstream at best, but the speed is not very stable, it keeps jumping up and down between 1.5M and 0. I guess thats adsl's fault.

What?  Fluctuating download speeds rarely if ever have anything to do
with ADSL itself. After all, you have a dedicated duplex connection to
the upstream ADSL modem.

Fluctuating download speeds are usually the result of bottlenecks and
congestion further into the network, rather than the last stage of
getting to your system.

>> My catv provider said that in my building I could get around 2M downstream (instead of the advertized 8M), and the dataflow will be stable not like with adsl.

Of course he'd say that. He's selling CATV, ne? Sounds like he's either
lying about ADSL, or he knows fuck-all about it. Ask him about the size
of his connections to the backbone, and his current load levels.

>> I'm not sure if it would be wise to switch to catv (and afaik I don't have any other alternatives), I'd appreciate if you could share some more info on the subject.

Look before you leap, and develop a good nose for the smell of snake
oil.

Jim

--
Jim Breen  [j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298