[tlug] newly compiled bigger than default RH installed kernel

I wanted to try my hand at compiling a new RH 7.2 kernel. I read a followed
the how-to instructions and thinks seem to have gone well. (I didn't
download anything new. I just wanted to try and make a smaller kernel).

However when I compare the size of the new kernel vs the original (form a
basic RH install) it is almost twice as big. I used "make config" for the
configuration tool and all I did was remove option or make then loadable
modules.

I tough the template I started with was the current kernel's config file no?
If so how could I make a bigger kernel by removing modules?

Jc