Re: [tlug] Secure alternative to ftp?

>From: Matt Doughty <mdoughty@example.com>
>
>The problem is you aren't really saying what you want clearly.
>Please try giving us a clear idea of exactly what functionality you.

Oops. I'll try to better explain this time.

>1. When you say secure is this context what exactly do you need? What are
>    you trying to protect from?

I mean that anyone trying to upload files can be authenticated and that the
user can securely authenticate himself (i.e. no plaintext password over the
net)

I am trying to protect from unauthorized file upload/deletion on the server.

>2. Am I understanding you correctly that there will only be uploads and
>    possibly deletes?

Yes. That is all I want to allow. Users can upload/delete files to/from a
specific directory only.

>3. You want to have unique users, but you don't want actual accounts?

Exactly! I don't want to create local accounts becuase these users should
never have access to the server as local users. (no login, no /home
directories, etc ...)

>If so you might want to look at a ssl web based solution like:
>
>FileTornado: http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/filetornado
>fs2web:	http://amir142.dhs.org/fs2web/

Checking them out now.

Thanks! And if I still wasn't clear about the functionality I looking for
just let me know and I'll happilly try explain again!

Jc