Re: [tlug] Secure alternative to ftp?

>From: Matt Gushee <mgushee@example.com>
>
>But there's also something called sftp, which I think is basically FTP
>over SSH. I haven't personally used it, just heard of it.
>
>There are several SSH clients for Windows. I've heard very good things
>about SecureCRT from VanDyke Software; I believe it supports sftp.

Thanks for the pointer to sftp. I read up on it while trying to install it
and it seems to be almost but not quite waht I want.

I want to allow people on the outside to connect to my sftp server and
upload files (even delete then perhaps) but that is all. I don't want them
to have local accounts or anything else on my server. It seems that for sftp
to work (in an non-anonymous fashion) I need to create a user account for
anyone I want to allow to connect to the sftp server?

I'm still reading and don't quite get OpenSSH or sftp yet so I am probably
missing something. Can sftp (with OpenSSH) do what I want?

Thanks!

Jc