Re: [tlug] moving files remotely

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Matt Doughty wrote:

> On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 09:55:23AM +0000, Jack Morgan wrote:
> > How about a situation were you are building a web site, which you set
> > up locally, then upload once your finished. The web site is large and
> > you want to update files daily. In this case, would something like
> > rsync in better?
>
> Much better. This is exactly what rsync accels at.  I haven't been able
> to come up with a security scheme I am particularly happy with when
> implementing rsync.  Haven't looked very hard either though.

I'd like to recommend running rsync thru an encrypted channel using
openssl and stunnel. Make both server and client verify each other's x509
certificate and take special care to secure the certs.  (those can be
self-signed.) The tunnel works beautifully for all TCP traffic except FTP
(which requires two separate TCP sessions).

www.stunnel.org
www.openssl.org

If you don't have to automate the transfer, then you can just run it thru
ssh.