RE: [tlug] Debian update funnies

> From: Stephen J. Turnbull [mailto:stephen@example.com]
> You're right about upgrading from potato to woody though, that sounds
> painful.  It wasn't easy for me, even sitting at the console.

I will give credit to the Debian developers. The last time I "upgraded" that server, I had to skip a major release. From Bo to Potato(e) or something like that.

The instructions provided for upgrading were detailed and specific, enough so that I did it from 500 miles away all by SSH, including kernel. But at that time it wasn't an ocean betwixt me and the machine, so....

It's not really the "Debian" part I worry about, it's the kernel. Going from 2.2.x to 2.4.x was a royal pain, as you say "even sitting at the console." I would not want to try when I cannot back-rev by choosing between two entries in the lilo.config file at boot.

I guess next time I'll be skipping Woody and going directly to... to.... Oh heck I don't know. :^)

Curt-