Re: [tlug] NFS-mounting /home

My points (2) & (3) were typical of needs which cannot be covered by a
"global"
/home mount. Even if /home is reserved for users dirs, it does not mean
that all
homes *must* be nfs-mounted (a trader on Tokyo Stock Exchange and a
secretary
cannot afford the same downtime, but they work in the same company, and
share
the same sysadmin).

I did not say home dirs should not be mounted. On contrary, in most of
cases.
But a global and *unique* mount point is not good IMHO.
I really prefer a per-user mount system (nearly as easy to setup as a
global /home),
which could *also* give you a centralized server if you wish. You just add
the possibility to do something different if you need.

We use NFS for home dirs, of course, but certainly not by mounting /home.

With the same idea, we don't mount a "/usr/local" dir where our added
apps are.
It is also a "indirect automount map" in /usr/local/mount. With this system,
we simply have the same dirs (e.g. /usr/local/sybase), whatever the
client is
(linux, Solaris, with different versions of Sybase).

br.

Bruno.

--
"When you open your Windows you'll see a light blue sky filled with clouds.
If you look past the clouds, you'll only see the Sun."