[tlug] mount point invalid, must be on / partition

During a new installation of RH7.2 I was using disk druid to partition the
drive. I tried installing /root and /dev on their on partitions but got an
error message "mount point invalid, must be on / partition".

Technically, why must some directory be found on the root partition?

Thanks!

Jc

PS I finally did get XFS up and going. Will write up a doc detailing my
trials and tribulations for others who follow ...