Re: [tlug] EXT3 journal not found

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 12:08:02PM +0900, Michael Doughty wrote:
> >> On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:34:20 +0900, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> >
> > But it worked before :-)

Hmmm. I must have read your post incorrectly.

> > It looks like it may be a bad disk.  I booted a Linuxcare rescue
> > disk with the intention of hacking fstab to mount everything as
> > ext2, but it's response to fdisk /dev/hda was "Can't read hda."
> > It had no problem with /dev/hdc, though, which is an identical
> > disk purchased at the same time as hda.

Have you tried replacing the cable to /dev/hda? If you don't have
a spare cable, then do a complete cable swap between the two drives.

> A lack of support in the kernel seems an extremely unlikely source,
> as any kernel that did not support the filesystem would not know what
> ext3 was in the first place.  You should have seen something like
> "ERROR: ext3 not supported by kernel".

Sure. My conceptional error was assuming that he booted successfully
up to but not including mounting any drives. An apparent error on
my part. I'll be sure to wake up and have breakfast before posting
next time. *grin*

-- Uva